Sunday, February 21, 2010

Give It Away, Give It Away, Give It Away Now





I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
I feel like I've been listening to them as long as I've been alive, more accurately though I became aware of them at the same time I became aware of having a personal taste in music.

So of course between my fandom for RHCP and my past experiences with drugs, I had to read this:



In the book, Kiedis takes the opportunity to explain some of the meanings behind their songs. For "Give it Away," Anthony Kiedis drew inspiration from the German singer Nina Hagen, when he came across one of her jackets that he liked. She insisted he take it, explaining that giving stuff away creates good energy.

Ever since I was younger I've been donating my old clothes to Good Will or smaller friends and little cousins. I remember seeing a young girl at the park in Chelan who was wearing my old orange and yellow tie-dye shirt. I knew it was mine because there was a purple stain (though it fit in on the shirt) from when my dad left a ball point pen in his pocket when we did the laundry.

Today, I decided it was time to get the clothes off of my floor finally. When I realized I had overflowed 3 separate laundry hampers with clothes still in the closet, I knew it was time to purge. I don't like or don't wear about 30% of what's in there.

If I can get a little good energy sent my way, then I guess it's a win win. If I sell it to a consignment shop for store credit, I can even get a few new things in return.

Buy when you buy used clothes, or hand-down your old ones, there are multiple lives carrying them. It got me thinking about that little girl in my tie-dye shirt. What attracted her to that shirt, why did she have to shop at St. Vinny's, and did we have anything else in common besides that shirt?

It's the same thing that makes me wonder about who has lived in my house before? It was built in the 20s, and assuming it has been a college student rental for the last 15 years or so, then some 30 families or people could have lived here. It's like they say, "if these walls could talk." What stories would they tell? What about my clothes? What stories would they tell?

Am I a parasite to my clothes, my house, or are they parasites to me?

And for the love, when will they learn to write?

4 comments:

  1. I believe that we are parasites to our possessions that allow us to be accepted in normal society are, insofar as they do that, but, insofar as we create them, give them their meaning, and display them to the world, they are parasites to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Am I a parasite to my clothes, my house, or are they parasites to me?"

    Can it not be that all are parasites unto each other? A walking, talking, Oroborus of parasitism? or that we take turn, trade jobs once in a while?
    From what I've seen it doesn't take much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But when you buy used clothes, or hand-down your old ones, there are multiple lives carrying them."

    I wonder how those things, with their multiple lives, affect the person inheriting or buying them. I wonder how much we leave in the the things we hand down.

    Shame they haven't learned how to write. They probably have more stories than a lot of us do.

    Anyway, nice blog Kacie, nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing worse than looking at an old photo of yourself in an old favorite clothing item and being like, "What the fuck happened to that...sweater?!"

    "Am I a parasite to my clothes, my house, or are they parasites to me?" None of the above is a parasite. The bulldozer is the parasite making way for cookie-cutter houses is a parasite. Supporting parasitic corporations by buying new clothes at the mall is parasitic.

    Letting go of attachments is a way of freeing yourself of the parasites.

    I know how this class can make one parasite obsessed, which is what my blog last week was about, http://xtiespace.blogspot.com/ but not everything is a parasite.

    ReplyDelete